Individuals wishing to pursue a career as a Legal Secretary.
Comprehensive end-user knowledge of Microsoft Word (including Forms), competent keyboarding (at least 40 wpm), good letter layout and office practice skills. Familiarity with the Irish Legal system as detailed in the Pitman Training ‘Introduction to Irish Law’ module.
To give an introduction to the work, responsibilities, practice and structure of the conveyancing department of a legal office.
- Lesson 1: Introduction to conveyancing, freehold and leasehold, the conveyancing transaction, land registration.
- Lesson 2: Pre-contract enquiries, advising on buyer’s risk, the family home, statutory declaration, Property Registration Authority, pre-contract searches, pre-exchange mortgage procedures, draft contract.
- Lesson 3: Transfer, requisitions on title, land registry Form 104 and Form 105, registry of deeds official search, conducting bankruptcy and judgements office searches, pre-completion mortgage requirements.
- Lesson 4: Post-completion procedures, discharge of mortgage, stamp duty, registration of new owner and Form 17 and Form 1, e-conveyancing, Particulars Delivered Form ST21
- Develop an excellent understanding of the workings and structure of a conveyancing office
- Know the relevant steps involved in the conveyance of a property
- Have practical experience at drawing up the necessary legal documentation required when dealing with conveyancing through working with the true-to-life scenarios that are integral to this course
- This course can be completed as a stand-alone module but also represents one full module of Pitman Training’s widely recognised qualification, the Legal Secretarial Diploma